Mind the rain? Who am I fooling with the title? I LOVE the rain.
Most people have been complaining of the dreary weather and the heavy rainfall that has extended its usual time line, so I just might be one of the few who is loving it for simple reasons:
1) More rain now = less load shedding! Though I dislike splotches of mud on my pants as much as you, more rain means more power for our very limited hydro plants and even though my house has solar power (thank you smart thinking parents!) it’s nice to have full running electriciy.
2) Nothing soothes like the rain. For long days and moments when my soul feels weary, it’s like the sound of rainfall carries away my troubles in the murmur of water. Falling rain is possibly one of my favorite sounds in the world, and the smell of rain on earth always make me smile. There’s something so refreshing and purifying about heavy rains. And falling asleep is so much better when you have rain drops for company.
3) I like walking under an umbrella. Odd as it may sound, it’s so cozy. I even enjoy the surprise trickles of water running down my back, chilling though it may be – it makes me aware of my senses and therefore, I feel a lit bit more alive.
4) The rains at this time of the year makes for colder days. For a country that seems to jump from summer to winter in a matter of days, I’m loving the chill in the air so I can wrap myself in comforting soft fabrics and light sweaters before I loose myself in the heavier apparel of winter. What is it about cardigans and light jackets that is so comforting? Like having something to hold you all day.
5) Everything looks prettier. The streets glisten (where they’re not hidden by ankle deep waves of dirty river/sewage water). Lights reflect. Foggy windows make the city softer. The details on droplets of water come to life.
6) It heightens your appreciate of warm beverages. Coffee/tea/hot chocolate just tastes so much better when it warms your hands as you sit by a steamy window, watching the pattern of rippling water sliding on glass.
I wouldn’t mind if I rained like this for a week or two longer.